- We can use the energy from solar radiation that reaches the surface of Mars to heat and light the base and power agriculture and small scale industry.
- Water can be mined from the many glaciers on the planet or the permafrost
- We can can use the energy and the water mixed with a nutrient solution to grow food and useful crops such as bamboo.
- We can take with us small and scaled down machines (e.g. lathes, furnaces and so on) to manufacture what we need - e.g. farm tools.
- We can use Mars materials to build new habitat space.
- We can make breathable air from the atmosphere on Mars and water and we can make rocket fuel from the same.
The base will be located at or a near an excellent source of water ice.
The early colonists will prospect for good sources of iron ore, aluminium ore, silica, magnesium ore, calcium carbonate, basalt and other materials. In addition to food crops, they will grow crops that produce useful materials such as hemp, bamboo and cotton.